Friday, December 7, 2012

12-7-12

Huzarsky’s Happenings


Dear Parents,                              12/07/12
                            

I hope everyone had a wonderful week!  We have been so busy learning so many new and interesting things in Room 19 and I’m excited to share them with all of you.  Read on to fill yourself in on all of the exciting things happening in our fourth grade class.

In our Reading Workshop we have been focusing on understanding story elements in fictional literature.  We are delving into the characters, setting, events and theme of stories and plays.  Next week we will focus on the importance of themes.  We will practice this skill during our daily read aloud, in our independent chapter books and in our language arts Ready workbook.  Please encourage your child to think about story elements as they read nightly in their just right chapter books.  We started reading On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer as a whole class read aloud this week.  This is a dramatic story of two young boys named Tony and Joel who get themselves into serious trouble.  Ask your child to give you a brief summary of the book so far.  The kids seem to be enjoying it!

Our Writing Workshop focus for the next month is Feature Articles.  We are in the process of researching our topics and organizing our information in our notebooks.  Next week we will begin adding in our own knowledge and putting our information into paragraphs.  Ask your child about their topic and angle.  I am so excited for them to share the final product with you soon!  Write On!

We wrapped up our math unit on multiplication today.  Next week we will begin learning about division! This is an awesome unit filled with facts, fun games, problem solving and more!  Please encourage your child to study their division facts nightly!  I am attaching links to fun web sites that your child can access on the computer.  Dare to Divide!!!

Our science unit on Weather is going very well!  I look forward to the daily weather reporters filling us in on the weather for the day.  In the science lab we have been doing some interesting hands-on experiments related to humidity and clouds.  Ask your child about their experience in the lab this week.  You will be impressed by what they have to say!  We’re Wild about Weather!!!

In social-studies we are continuing to learn about Native Americans next week.  We will start learning about the Algonquians and Iroquois next week and learn about their similarities and differences.  Ask your child to tell you all about the homes they lived in.  Ask them specific details about wigwams and longhouses.  Native Americans are Nifty!!!


I hope you enjoyed reading all about what’s happening in Room 19.  I hope you have a relaxing weekend filled with fun, family, and friends.  J

Sincerely,
Ms. Huzarsky

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ms. Huzarsky & Class,

    Thank you so much for sharing your most recent blog post with me- I absolutely loved reading it! I am learning so much about all the wonderful things you are doing in class over the last week. I am really looking forward to reading your published Feature Articles - I am sure I will learn a lot! I am also excited to hear about your upcoming study of division - I know that if you know your multiplication facts well, division will be a breeze - good luck!

    Thanks again for sharing - I am so proud of you and your work!

    Sincerely,
    Mr. Sinanis

    ReplyDelete